Monday, January 9, 2017

Condescending Smiles

you made the stars seem dim, 
but not because you shined brighter. 
it was because you talked about them
 like they were just dust. 
you painted every blue sky a shade of grey, 
and you made me believe that it was
all just the weather. 
it came easy to me, 
believing you. 
letting you take my very best 
and turn it into my very worst. 
and instead of happy endings
it ends like the movie 
your friends tell you not 
to see, 
because it will all just 
bring you down. 
and i told you i loved the moon
and that i thought rain was beautiful
and that i dreamed of big cities 
and that i would have died for you. 
but you told me i was 
being ridiculous, 
dumb, 
immature. 
and i just stand there, still loving you, 
watch you give condescending smiles 
to what you're really thinking. 
and i just wished everything away, 
time and all your walls 
you built around yourself. 
but just like snow in the winter 
sticks to the ground,  
i let you stick around, 
no, i stick around you. 
  

5 comments:

  1. The title reminds me of people who think they are better than you, and giving you a condescending smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I love this! Most amazing metaphors and imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved the beginning. The first couple lines really leave an impression! I'm going to remember that for a long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true, there's people out there that can turn your very best into your very worst, I like how you were honest with how it lots of times goes, specifically when you said "I just stand there, still loving you, watching you give condescending smiles to what you're really thinking" Cool piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost actually cried, this is so beautiful, its very straightforward but has images and ideas I wouldn't have thought about. You are dang talented, keep writing.

    ReplyDelete